Kreig D. Mitchell, LLM, JD, provides thoughtful and experienced advocacy on behalf of clients in federal and state tax planning and disputes.
Licensed as an attorney in both Texas and Colorado, Kreig has held a number of different tax positions.
He has worked for the IRS as an attorney and then an appeals officer. He’s led a tax controversy team for a boutique consulting firm, worked in the tax departments for two Fortune 500 companies, worked for one of the Big Four accounting firms, and has had his own tax practice for several years.
Having worked in just about every tax role available has provided him with a unique insight into the IRS, its operations, and our tax laws.
Kreig’s work focuses on various state and federal tax matters and related business and probate matters, including:
- tax procedural issues, including questions about tax attributes, timing, character, and penalties and interest;
- structuring business and real estate transactions, including buying, selling, leasing, and other transfers and dispositions;
- tax planning for corporate and flow through entities;
- partnership tax issues, including partnership agreements and allocations;
- depreciation and cost segregation issues, including advice on the tangible property regulations and dispositions;
- accounting method changes, including Form 3115 presentation and strategy;
- research tax credit issues, including qualification and funded research analysis;
- self-directed IRAs and other plan issues, including qualification, prohibited transactions, and the unrelated business income tax;
- passive activity loss and at-risk issues, including self-rental and grouping rules; and
- routine and contested probate and estate planning matters.
He also handles complex disputes with the IRS and state tax authorities for both businesses and individuals. He has represented businesses ranging from entrepreneurs to multinational corporations, in industries such as high technology, manufacturing, oil and gas, and government contracting.
- Kreig Mitchell LLC — Attorneys at Law, Attorney
- KPMG LLP, Senior Tax Manager
- Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc., Tax Director
- Newmont Mining Corporation, Inc., Tax Manager
- Internal Revenue Service, Appeals Officer
- Internal Revenue Service, Attorney
- Axiom Solutions, LLLP, Managing Director
- Law Office of Kreig Mitchell, Attorney
- Texas, Attorney
- Colorado, Attorney
- U.S. Tax Court
- LLM, Tax Law – University of Houston
- JD – Texas Tech University
- MS, Financial Planning & Finance – Texas Tech University
- MS, Criminal Justice – Sul Ross State University
- BS, Pre-Law, University of Texas (UTPB)
- Research Tax Credits (ALI-ABA 2011)
- The California Research Tax Credit (Kindle Edition 2011)
- The Funded Research Tax Credit Exclusion, 19 J. of Tax Prac. & Proc. 1 (Feb.-Mar. 2017)
- Who Uses R&D Tax Credits?, The Practical Tax Lawyer (May 2015)
- Real Estate Investment Groups Can Maximize Value through Sophisticated Tax Planning, Accounting Today (Jan. 2015)
- Don’t Miss Cost Segregation Tax Deductions, Accounting Today (Aug. 2013)
- IRS Concludes Open-Air Parking Garages are Buildings, iShade’s Curator Comments (Mar. 2013)
- The R&D Tax Credit for Start-up Companies, 88 Prac. Tax Strat. 2 (Feb. 2012)
- The R&D Tax Credit: Accounting for Nexus, 12 J. of Tax Prac. & Proc. 2 (Apr.-May 2011)
- Consider the Research Tax Credit in M&A Deals, Vol. 16, No. 12, M&A Tax Report (Jul. 2008)
- Section 41 Research and Experimentation Tax Credit Audit Considerations, 37 Colorado Law. 3 (Mar. 2008), reprinted in 9 J. of Tax Prac. & Proc. 7 (Mar.-Apr. 2008)
- Corporate Tax Advisors, Inc., Payment Protection Program and the R&D Tax Credit, webinar (2020)
- QRE Tax LLC, Medtech: What you are Missing from the R&D Tax Credit, webinar (2020)
- Engineered Tax Services, Inc., Tax Incentives for Real Estate & Circular 230 Compliance, webinar (2020)
- QRE Tax LLC, How to Evaluate an R&D Study, webinar (2020)
- INPACT Americas, Partners Forum Spring Conference, Tax Reform & Specialty Tax Update (2019)
- Engineered Tax Services, Inc., Advanced Strategies for Opportunity Zone Investing (2019)
- PSMJ Resources, Inc., How to Successfully Manage A Research Tax Credit Audit (2018)
- Opal Conference, Tax Reform and Private Wealth (2018)
- PSMJ Resources, Inc., Negotiating Contracts to Maximize Research Credits (2017)
Kreig resides in Houston with his wife (also an attorney) and three children.